Phase one - Maungakiekie-Tāmaki plan update
Thank you to everyone who shared ideas, insights and gave feedback on what the Maungakiekie-Tāmaki Local Board should include in their next three-year plan. It has been great to hear from you and see your creative ideas and passion for your communities and neighbourhoods.
Who we heard from
We heard from a diverse range of our community from young people to seniors. We held events in partnership with local community organisations including The Asian Network and Synergy Projects, and held two 'have your say' events, one at Te Oro Music and Arts Centre in Glen Innes, and one at the Onehunga Community Centre.
We met with local community groups one on one to hear their thoughts, ideas and concerns, gathered your ideas via postcards and here on our online ideas hub.
What you said
These are some of the key themes we heard from all the feedback received:
- you want to see and hear Te reo Māori throughout the community in things like storytelling and art
- partnership with mana whenua on shared priorities
- you want support for marae infrastructure
- you value community events and cultural opportunities that showcase our diversity
- you want our environment, and natural and cultural heritage restored and protected, including waterways and bird life
- support for community projects that have a positive social or environmental impact
- opportunities for employment and to up-skill are a priority
- town centres and community places need to be maintained and enhanced
- you'd like more accessible and safe transport connections, such as more walkways and cycleways, and trialing feeder services to town centres.
What happens next?
We have yet to fully determine the social and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on our communities and it may mean some of our plans and aspirations may need to change as a result. Our response will be delivered via the annual budgeting process but the decisions we make will focus on ensuring the benefits for our community.
In July we will come back to you with an opportunity to have your say on the draft Maungakiekie-Tāmaki Local Board Plan. We will be back in touch when phase two opens.
Stay safe - kia kaha
Consultation has concluded