Phase one - Franklin plan update
Thank you to everyone who shared ideas, insights and gave feedback on what the Franklin Local Board should include in their next three-year plan. It has been great to hear from you and see your creative ideas and passion for your communities and neighbourhoods.
Who we heard from
We held two events in partnership with community organisations including Te Ara Rangatahi, and the Clevedon Community and Business Association where we heard from a cross section of the community.
We heard many of your views face to face at the Clevedon and Pukekohe A & P shows, at Children's Day in Pukekohe and the opening of Kahawairahi playground in Beachlands. We met with the Franklin Youth Advisory Board, and with communities in Orere Point and Kawakawa Bay.
We also surveyed Franklin Local Board residents through the Auckland People’s Panel and gathered your ideas here on our online ideas hub.
In total we received over 800 contributions to the plan from around 600 people.
What you said
These are some of the key themes we heard from all the feedback received:
- you value Franklin’s blend of town and country
- you like living here
- you enjoy family events and activities in your area
- you want to enjoy open spaces, beaches and parks, and preserve them
- you have the time are willing to contribute to your area
- you want better public transport, particularly from Beachlands, Clevedon and Waiuku
- you welcome Franklin’s Māori heritage being reflected in our places and names
- you want a wide variety of activities – walking, fishing, horse riding, sports and more
- you like council to get the basics right for growing communities that lack facilities
- you want a holistic approach to growth
- you support protecting our environment and waterways
- you want access to year round swimming pools
- you value our playgrounds and want safe and accessible facilities
- you want to be able to walk and cycle safely for recreation and to get to school.
What happens next?
All 21 of Auckland’s Local Boards are developing their new 2020 Local Board Plans based on what we heard and other inputs such as the Auckland Plan 2050, Long Term Plan, and Annual Budget.
We have yet to fully determine the social and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on our communities and it may mean some of our plans and aspirations may need to change as a result. Our response will be delivered via the annual budgeting process but the decisions we make will focus on ensuring the benefits for our community.
In July we will come back to you with an opportunity to have your say on the draft Franklin Local Board Plan. We will be back in touch when phase two opens.
Stay safe - kia kaha
Consultation has concluded